HISTORY OF THE FULTON QUIEN SABE RANCH
In the early 1950’s, the Fulton’s bought a 150,000 acre ranch west of Amarillo. The Canadian River flowed for more than 30 miles through the Quien Sabe and the young Joe Kirk began assembling a herd of ranch horses and Charolais cattle.
Before long he was riding and showing his American Quarter Horses and quickly zoomed to the top in competition in the arenas.
He bred and sold Peppy San Badger (Little Peppy), the horse that in 1977 won the National Cutting Horse Association Futurity under the ownership of the King Ranch and went on to sire the winners of some $25 million.
While Joe Kirk won at the top level in both halter and performance competition, it was in American Quarter Horse racing that he found his true love.
At the end of 2012, he ranked third among the all-time leading breeders of money earners.
For his lifetime of accomplishments, Joe Kirk was inducted into the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame in 2011. He also received the Gordon Crone Lifetime Achievement Award from the AQHA.
Here are a few of the things achieved by Fulton in racing:
• Only owner/breeder to have two horses win a Grade I race at Ruidoso and in the same year have that horse win the Champion of Champions.
• Dashs Dream and Special Leader are 2 of only 4 horses to win a
Grade I race at Ruidoso and then win the Champion of Champions in the
• Breeder of Peppy San Badger (Little Peppy), winner of the 1977
NCHA Futurity and one of the most influential Cutting Horse sires of all
time with earners of more than $25 million.
• Breeder of World Champion Special Leader, sire of earners of
more than $13 million, 62 stakes winners, winner of the Champion of
Champions G1, etc.
• Breeder of World Champion Dashs Dream $1,119,610, winner of
the Champion of Champions, etc.
• Breeder of Leading Sire Mr Eye Opener, sire of earners of more
than $26 million, 92 stakes winners.
• Breeder of Leading Sire Flaming Jet, sire of earners of more than
$2.2 million, 10 stakes winners.
• Breeder of Leading Sire Victory Dash, sire of earners of more than
$5.4 million, 34 stakes winners.
• Breeder of Leading Sire Bold Episode, sire of earners of more than
$1.9 million, 11 stakes winners.
• Co-owner of Leading Sire Pass ‘Em Up (TB), sire of earners of
more than $8.1 million, 45 stakes winners.
• Breeder of stallions that have sired the earners of $75 million including 250 stakes winners.
• No. 3 all-time leading breeder of racing money earners at more
than $18 million with more than 125 stakes wins.
Fulton Quien Sabe Ranch is owned and managed by Merle Fulton Harris and husband/Veterinarian Dr Kurt Harris and son Tim Fulton.
The Ranch has had massive success in the past few years with 2018 being a monumental year.
Fulton Quien Sabe Ranch bred and raised the 2018 All American Derby Champion and AQHA World Champion 3 yr old Racing, Hotstepper.
The 2018 NFR Team Roping Heeling Average Winner, Romancing The Chics, was also bred and raised by Fulton Quien Sabe Ranch.